All competition entries are reviewed and scored by guest judges and members.
Trophies are awarded at the end of the year for the most points gained in each section and an encouragement award is given to a new member who demonstrates the highest degree of improvement during the year.
Members can also compete against other WA camera clubs in various competitions organised by the West Australian Photographic Federation (WAPF).
Competitions are an excellent way of honing camera skills and improving photographic perception.
There are a number of print and projected image competition sections run each competition night:
Large Prints Open (Colour only)
Large Prints Set Subject (Mono or Colour)
Large Prints Monochrome Open
Open (Colour only)
Set Subject (Mono or Colour)
The definitions for the Set Subject can be found on our Schedules/Competition Schedules page.
Requirements for entering Competitions
- Members may submit only one entry in each section.
- Only full financial members are eligible to compete.
- Entries must be photographed by the ENTRANT
- All prints must be securely mounted and with a backing board.
- Members are encouraged to produce new work for the Set Subject.
- Entries which have gained 1st, 2nd 3rd from member’s choice and/or Judge’s choice in a prior monthly competition are ineligible for entry.
Requirements for Projected Images
Entries need to be:
- sRGB, JPG
- Landscape shots: 1024 pixels wide x Whatever It Makes (WIM)
- Portrait shots: 768 pixels high x WIM.
- Maximum filesize is around 500kb.
- Borders are optional.
-Projected Image entries must be submitted to the Competition Secretary no later than ten (10) days before the competition night (i.e., two Friday nights before the competition night - dates are published for each competition night on the Schedules/Competitions page).
- Naming of digital entries is standardised to the format of Section (Set, Open or Altered), Image Title and Author’s Name separated by underscores.
- No Projected Image entries will be accepted at the hall on the competition night.
Requirements for Prints
- Large Prints: Minimum print image shall be 500sq cm (eg 20cm X 25cm).
- Mount size maximum is 40 cmX 50cm, except for club panoramas.
(NB: 40cm X 50cm is the maximum size for entries in all WAPF and National com petitions.)
- Panoramas: 70cm X 30cm mount size is accepted only in club competitions.
- Monochrome prints: Any photograph containing shades of only one colour. If toning is carried out, it must be over the whole photograph - partial toning and /or the addition of any colour is not acceptable.